Arkansas License Plates
Prior to 1911, the only motor vehicle license plates were issued by cities. The license plates from 1909 to 1911 were made of porcelain. The first statewide Arkansas license plate was issued in 1911 and these were made of steel. The first slogan was embossed on Arkansas license plates in 1935 â€œCENTENNIAL CELEBRATIONâ€�. The 1941 Arkansas license plate had the embossed slogan â€œOPPORTUNITY LANDâ€� on the bottom. Then in 1950, the modified slogan was changed to â€œLAND OF OPPORTUNITYâ€� and was used each year until 1967. It was not until 1975 that the slogan â€œLAND OF OPPORTUNITYâ€� was again screen printed on the Arkansas license plates and this continued to 1978. The slogan â€œTHE NATURAL STATEâ€� was introduced in 1989.
In 1924 and 1925 the outline of the state with letters ARK was embossed on Arkansas license plates. In 1938 the outline of the state and â€œ38â€� were embossed on the Arkansas license plates. The 1914 Arkansas license plate is quite rare. It is believed that motorists had to turn in the 1914 license plate in order to get the 1915 renewal license plate. In 1928, 1929, 1930 and 1931, Arkansas license plates had FRONT and REAR embossed on them. Because of World War II, fiberboard was used in 1944 to save metal for the war effort.