Oklahoma License Plates
Oklahoma issued its first license plate in 1915. Prior to 1915 around 1910, the city of Tulsa issued porcelain license plates. The license plates issued by Oklahoma were all steel and always dated with the year of validity.
In 1962, the first slogan on Oklahoma license plates was the word "VISIT" placed just before the name Oklahoma. From 1967 through 1975, the words "IS O.K." were embossed after the state’s name to read "OKLAHOMA IS O.K." This slogan was repeated in 1978 and 1979. The 1976 plate celebrated 200 years of America’s independence with the slogan "1776 BICENTENNIAL 1976". In 1981, the slogan: "OKLAHOMA IS O.K." was re-introduced and in 1989, "O.K.!" was screened below Oklahoma.
Oklahoma’s license plates were plain and practical over the years. In 1982 the plate has a silkscreen of a sunset with the sun in the middle on bottom of the plate. This 1982 Oklahoma license plate is reminiscent of California’s The Golden State license plate. The 1989 Oklahoma license plate featured a screen print artwork of an Indian.
Oklahoma license plates issued between 1925 through 1947 had small numbers at the center dividing the actual license plate number. The Oklahoma license plate issues from 1925 through 1928 had a dash or F in the center. Most people thought the F meant FARM; it actually meant FORD the brand of vehicle. Plates with the letter A meant AUTOS or general use private vehicles. In 1936, the plates with a dash were used on front and plates with R were used on rear of vehicles. This changed in 1937 when the license plates were stamped with both F and R to denote Front and Rear.